Monday 8 December 2014

Trip to Rome/ Part 1

Fast foward to July. Summer was well under way and high time for a much needed break. You all know what they say ,"too much work n no play makes jack a dull boy".
Play time it was. The city of Rome beckoned. My lovely friend Michelle and i packed our bags and off we went for a long weekend..
I'd been to italy before but spent most of my time in Naples with just a day in Rome, so i hoped to explore more of Rome and what it had too offer.
We checked  into our hotel room close to mid night. A shower and a glass of water and dreamland set in.

The following morning after having breakfast we armed ourselves with a map, determined  to go everywhere and see all the points of interest that we could.

They say a trip to Rome will not be complete without a sighting of the magnificent , breathtaking  Colosseun and its nearby Roman forum, so we decided to start  with the Colosseum.  But just as  we were approaching the place , heard someone shouting"Studu! " in my head I thought no way, it's not like I am a celebrity , and this Is not My village back in Botswana where I can hear my name so many times a day, so I ignored it, but Michelle stopped and looked across the road where the voice seemed to have come from! Lo and behold, Olivia (my colleague ) was waving. What a lovely surprise. Had to take a pi to prove to you all.









While you are at the Colosseum, it's worth going to the PALATINO, the  very  old buildings from the Roman times., like a village and columns still standing.











But then the queue outside the colosseum was crazy, so Michelle and I decided to go to St Peters which is one of those one of the places they say had to see in Rome. As for me i thought an opportunity to grab Pope's blessing. So We walked all the way to ST Peters Basilica, the home of the Pope. Apparently He can be seen outside in the pizza in front of the Basilica on Wednesday morning, but since we went on a  Saturday  we had to queue  to go inside. While we were  on this very long queue we noticed there was a sign showing what type of dress code was allowed in, . There is a strict dress code , shoulders and knees must be covered, and if these requirements are not met you can be turned away
Well at this point it became clear there was no blessings for us on that particular day,  since my very dear friend was rocking her HOT PANTS. So I missed out of the blessings, couldn't even bring no holy water for my Catholic friends.

This is how were turned up at St Peters! I was well covered up for a change! On the other hand....







At this point I had to change shoes. Yea, then I knew there was no turning back.


They also say a trip to Rome is not complete without a stop at the Spanish Steps (Church of Trinita Dei Munti), so we stopped right there. But then we had to walk up them stairs and Michelle hated it, slike a child she kept saying " are we there yet??" . No ma'am. 

The following day we went back to seewe few other churches! Because it was hot i wore shorts but carried a scarf, getting to church I was told I had to cover shoulders too, but there we some guys selling scarfs just outside. Great business as many of us had to buy.Beautiful beautiful churches!! Oh my gosh.
  


 




 I was blown away by the beautiful but I suddenly thought, an opportunity to say a prayer, to be honest I looked around for Michelle and there she was on her knees and I followed, so the next church I knew what to do.


 
 
 
 
 
 


We also went to the beautiful TREVI FOUNTAIN where one throws coins to see if a return to Italy is in the future. We thought we should keep to the tradition even though it is now bone-dry due to the repairs.


It is famous that if you throw a coin into the TREVI Fountain you will ensure a return trip to the Eternal City. So yes our trip back is assured.




I should give it up to Michele Meryline for reading that map and directing even though we so soo tired walking up in the sun. She was so tired every time she looked at the map she sat down, bless.




I also loved just how she was  the names of these roads.well the thing is I thought she was going to complain about walking. I love walking, so for me it wasn't a big deal, just that I need to take my walking shoes with me next time. As for my friend as long as I promised a stop over at the ice cream shop it was all good.






Not quite sure how big Rome is but If you love walking you can walk to a lot of these places in one day. Yes you can.


LIFE WORTH A LIVING.....







 
















No comments:

Post a Comment