Wednesday 5 November 2014

40th Celebration : The bride with no groom...!


Flashback 2013: with great confidence I clear my throat and proudly tell my work colleagues I'm Turning 38 but Arianne casually corrects me: "No My luv you're 39 and will be 40 Next Year.."
"Did she just say 40?!", I asked myself, "Am I really in the last year of my 30's?". I just had to confirm if this was fact. So whom do i talk to for clarity? My younger sister Solloh....and boy did she love every minute of Reminding me that My 40th Birthday was no longer a distant relative...



I would love to say I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to reach this date. To say I was ready to shout it from the rooftops. But as any girl who has ever dreamed of what their life would look like by a certain age and sees it's not quite how they imagined knows....I was very very down. This was not where I saw myself at 40.  So I pitied myself for a while. A long while. And then as time went on, I slowly began to appreciate life. To appreciate my life. Yes, I was turning 40, yes I am single but heck I am ALIVE. My sister died at 24, my brother at 38. What would they have given to be in my shoes right now? My perspective changed in an instant. I had to celebrate this life God has blessed me with! This was my turning point and set the tone for ideas on  marking this Grand Affair! 



"Perhaps we should go to New York!", a friend suggested.. Sounded exciting...but lets pause for thought people...
The Lord did say love thy neighbour as you love thy self and FunkyKinkyChic loves herself, and  is LOVED by many (I'm not one to blow my own trumpet...but it's true!haha!). Why rob my friends and family the  chance to share this new chapter of my journey through life! I just had to have a Party! I didn't have to look too far for an Event Planner : our very own Shirley might be  scrub nurse like myself ..but Event Planning is a talent she exercises pretty well.

After what felt like months of planning, The Day of My Party was here!! Hang on a minute... what I meant to say was ..the day of My BIG 40th Birthday Party had arrived! I was caught up in such a wave of excitement I hardly rested the whole week! To say I was tired is an understatement! However, the adrenalin waas pumping and I was dressed and ready by 18:30. I know those at the event may not believe it, but blame Shirley! She wanted me to make a grand entrance. so I had to sit on my bed and wait till you all arrived! Blame Thato, she arrived at 8! 






 As I sat patiently in my room...the texts started pouring in..."Studu is this a surprise wedding, there are masses of people in attendance!!". When I said I'm loved by many I wasn't joking! The funniest message of all was "Gosh gal if you die, you'll go to the grave happy , this is big!". Well, I did eventually make my grand entrance & I loved every minute.









My gorgeous friend and colleague Daniella, opened the evening with a beautiful rendition of "Prayer" made famous by Celine Dion & Andrea Bocelli. She was accompanied by musicians from her church who were awesome! 








After a fantastic meal me and my colleagues treated the guests to some belly dancing! It went down so well that we were asked to do it again!







Following this we hit the dancefloor and people were also free to enjoy taking pictures in the photobooth. 
My manager piped up  "Oh Studu, this is just like a wedding, the only thing that's missing is the groom!". It was just after this that one of my new male colleagues came to sing a rendition of John Legend's "All of Me" for me. The girls went crazy! I'm surprised I didn't see knickers flying across the floor! He is a young boy though so I did not take that as a sign! 

























I am truly grateful for all people who came and made my night truly unforgettable! I am incredibly blessed with the best colleagues, friends and family!
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. 

2 comments:

  1. it was truly a remarkable night to remember ..glad i was able to witness it…all we waiting for is you know WHAT….Patience pays so I'm keeping hope alive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Michy; patience does pays! With your prayers it is so coming to pass! No doubt!

      Delete